I’ve been dealing with a major case of writer’s block lately. Last week, while in a particularly grumpy mood, I compiled a list of “things I hate right now”.
I think I needed to get all this down on (virtual) paper to clear my brain before moving on and writing my next blog posts. Since putting together this list, I feel creative again for the first time in months.
Below is a cleaned-up version of the list. (Trust me, the original version was not suitable for online publication of any kind!)
- I hate this pandemic.
- I hate what this pandemic has taken away from our children, especially those most in need of the stability and socialization of a school setting.
- I hate the actions (or inaction) of leaders who got us into this COVID mess, and of those people who knowingly dismiss social distancing or mask guidelines and continue the spread.
- I hate when people dismiss others’ talents by assuming something comes easily or painlessly. “Oooh, can you play/write/design something for me right now?” Yes, because that is how the creative process works, you moron. My marketable skill/life’s passion/etc. is totally a mere party trick for your entertainment.
- I hate that I miss Pittsburgh sometimes.
- I hate that I don’t know if it’s that I miss Pittsburgh, or that I miss being a young twentysomething filled with possibility.
- I hate that some days I no longer consider myself filled with possibility.
- I hate when people say things like “It must be nice staying home,” or “Well, I could never put my child in daycare,” to mothers. You would NEVER hear someone say this to a man.
- I hate that I’ve gained weight and, despite knowing what I should be doing to be healthier, I don’t actually do it.
- I hate that I’m counting down till JB goes to bed so I can have a glass of wine and the slice of cake that came with our takeout tonight.
Author’s Update: Yeah, so I ended up not hating anything about that cake and wine. Also, the above image is a stock photo, not the actual dessert. The real cake did not last long enough for me to photograph it. #sorrynotsorry
The gift of ‘I get it’
It’s a beautiful day for reassurance
Let me introduce you to Zulily